It looks like a cake but it's really a meal for the carnivore in every dog! Yes, it is expensive at $5 for two filets but droolingly delectable for that very special occasion or event. I've always created a sweet pupcake for his barkday but, since he prefers savory over sweet, I went a different route for Kirby's very significant 5th barkday.
Aside from being expensive, it is so very easy. Have a special celebration or just want to pamper your pooch, this will surely do it!
The Carnivore’s Cake
Nutrition facts: 648 Calories, 295 Calories from fat Total fat: 32.8g or 50% (12.7g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- bacon wrapped beef filet
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- crumbled bacon
- Prepare the mashed potatoes. I made mine from scratch with a couple of medium size potatoes, a little butter and milk. You can also use instant flakes as long as they are 100% potato.
- Stir in some crumbled bacon. I stock up on the Hormel real bacon bits since their cheaper than packages of bacon and already cooked.
- Bake the filet following the instructions on the package. I cooked Kirby's at 350 degrees for twenty minutes for medium rare.
- Let the meat cool and then place on the plate. Scoop cooled mashed potatoes into a zip lock bag, snip a corner, and squeeze onto the top of the meat like frosting a cupcake.
- Take lots of pictures and then cut into bite size pieces.
Storage is not necessary since there won't be any leftovers. The filets come in single packs but since it was just Kirby and I, I bought a 2-pack so I could have one too. You can also choose the chicken filets which come in single or double packs.
My only problem is I don't have a clue how I'm going to top this one next year.