I knew I couldn't go wrong as long as the star of the dish was fish so really I just started throwing together what I had in the pantry. This is so easy and tasty your dog will discover his or her "inner cat" in no time.Read More
Kirby eats a lot of chicken and red meat. Fish is another healthy option he dearly loves. I happened to catch some catfish on sale but any white fish would work. Kirby laps up the broth but you can omit the water if you want a thicker stew.
Coconut Fish Soup
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Nutrition facts: 272 Calories each, 149 Calories from fat each Total fat: 16.6g or 25% (13.8g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 2 lbs catfish nuggets
- 3 chopped small sweet potatoes
- 1 (12 oz) bag Broccoli Slaw (broccoli, carrots, red cabbage)
- 2 cups green peas
- 2 (13.5 oz) cans coconut milk
- 3 cups water
- 1 (5 oz) bag dried mixed berries (cranberries, blueberries, cherries)
- 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground egg shell
- Using a food processor finely chop the broccoli slaw which will help it cook faster and makes it easier for a dog's digestive system.
- Rinse and dry the fish, deboning if needed, then cut into small pieces.
- In large pot bring coconut milk and water to a slow boil. Add sweet potatoes, broccoli slaw, peas, and dried berries. Add seasonings.
- Simmer over low heat for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the fish and let simmer for twenty minutes or until fish and veggies are thoroughly cooked.
- Let cool and serve.
I freeze this soup in two cup plastic containers for up to three months. It should last up to seven days in the refrigerator.
Kirby loves a healthy burger! These are made with turkey but any ground meat would work.
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Nutrition facts: 128 Calories, 55 Calories from fat Total fat: 5.9g or 9% (1.6g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 (12 oz.) bag broccoli slaw
- 2 Roma tomatoes or ½ cup tomato juice
- ½ cup plain bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- ¼ teaspoon ground egg shell
- Purée or finely dice your veggies.
- In a large bowl use your hands to thoroughly mix together all the ingredients.
- Evenly fill each oil sprayed muffin tin with the meat mixture.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let them sit for about ten minutes to firm up before removing.
If you can't find broccoli slaw in the produce section, chop up 4 cups of broccoli, carrots and cabbage.
I freeze these in ziplock bags. Take out what you will need that morning and let thaw in the refrigerator. When time for supper just pop in the microwave for 20 seconds to warm. Quick, tasty and healthy!