First let me say I do believe dogs are carnivores meaning they need meat in their diet in order to thrive. Having said that this is a nice change for Kirby which amazingly almost tastes like beef. I wasn't sure if he would enjoy these since he loves meat but he practically wolfed them down so they have been added to the rotation meal list.Read More
Kirby loves food. Kirby loves the spicy foods Doug gives him. I love Kirby so I decided something with a tasty little kick would be just what he was craving. Something with a Southwestern flavor, something Bobby Flay would approve!
Southwestern Chicken Chili
Cook Time: 15 minutes
32 Calorie from fat
Total fat: 3.6g or 6% (1.5g saturated fat, 0.8g trans fat)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup barley
- 1 (14.5 oz) can drained and rinsed black beans
- 3 teaspoons garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground egg shell
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Cook the barley in the chicken stock following the package directions.
- I use canned black beans so I add them with the barley because Kirby likes them really mushy. If using dried beans you may want to prepare them according to the package directions and then add them to the cooked barley.
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl, add the seasonings, and mix thoroughly.
- Let cool and serve.
Since I have started cooking Kirby’s meals I purchased 1 pint freezer containers which I spoon the mixture in, label, and freeze.
*I have started adding garlic to all of Kirby’s food since it is supposed to help fend off fleas. Although many reputable sites claim garlic is safe for dogs in small amounts you can omit this ingredient if you prefer.
Chili peppers were out of the question so the cayenne pepper gives this a little kick Kirby likes very much.
You can use brown rice in place of the barley. I think it’s a nice healthy change adding to the variety of foods Kirby eats.