This is one of those "hmmm let's see what we have in the freezer" kind of meals. The majority of Kirby's meals are wet so I decided to stay with this drier version. I also decided not to cook the veggies to retain that crunch he likes but I still finely chopped them with my blender to ensure his body can absorb all the nutrients. I had a large bag of mixed carrots, broccoli and cauliflower but chose not to add the cauliflower to avoid any gassiness. You could also use any fresh veggies your dog likes that are dog friendly.
This was more food than my largest bowl could handle so I ended up mixing everything in two large pots. The best part is that it freezes well in the one cup containers for future meals.
Shredded Chicken Salad
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition facts: 171 calories, , 19 calories from fat Total fat: 2.1g or 3% (0.6g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken tenderloins
- 2 cups parboiled rice
- 4 cups water from cooking chicken
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 8 cups frozen carrots & broccoli
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground egg shell
- Boil the chicken in water in a large pot or dutch oven. Remove the cooked chicken and save the water.
- Cook the parboiled rice using the saved “chicken stock” to an almost mushy state.
- Finely chop the vegetables.
- Shred the chicken and place in a large bowl. Add the cooked rice and vegetables.
- Add the seasonings. Thoroughly combine all of the ingredients.