This is the same recipe as my Baked Fish Cakes but with sardines, hence the smaller amount and size of patties. Still good and still inexpensive to make.
Kirby loves the smoky taste of sardines which are full of omega-3 fatty acids which help prevent cancer, reduce inflammation, keep the immune system strong, and help brain development. They also contain Coenzyme Q10 which supports a healthy heart and circulation, andprevents dental disease. Sardines are small fish so they don’t have time to pick up heavy metals in their short lives.
Sardine Fish Cakes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Nutrition facts: 226 calories, , 62 calories from fat Total fat: 6.8g or11% (1.4g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 2 (3.75 oz) cans sardines
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup Panko or plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoons dill seed
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground egg shell
- Drain and chop up the sardines.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine all of the ingredients.
- Form into patties roughly ½ inch thick by 3 inches wide. Place on lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, flip cakes over, and bake another 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
These will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about five days and in the freezer for four months.