Kirby won't eat raw carrots but he likes them roasted. He likes sweet potato whether mashed or cut into small bites so I thought I would try roasting them which was a naturally sweet, crunchy surprise for both of us. Delicious and so good I couldn't stop eating them myself! The outsides are slightly crispy with soft, tender centers. They can be seasoned to your dog's liking but I like them with just a bit of saltiness.
We roast them in the oven and on the grill with yummy results. They're perfect for a side dish or just as a snack which can most definitely be shared with the humans (or the dogs).
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition facts: 27 Calories, 6 Calorie from fat Total fat: 0.6g or 1% (0.8g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Wash the sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch rounds discarding the ends.
- Place the rounds on a parchment lined baking sheet and brush both sides with the olive oil. Sprinkle generously over the tops with the sea salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, turn them over, and bake another 15 minutes.
- Turn the oven up to 400 degrees and bake another 15 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown and slightly crispy.
- Let cool and serve slightly warm.