Kirby "the carnivore" loves his meaty jerky whether it be chicken, beef, venison, or fish! I'm always testing new flavor combinations trying to utilize ingredients that are not only tasty but provide healthy benefits for his body. Once I clean the chicken breasts removing all the fat and silvery membrane I like to slice them horizontally so I have long thin slices. They will shrink a lot as they dehydrate.
Cutting with the grain creates chewy, fibrous strips while cutting against the grain creates more tender, leathery strips. If your dog is a good chewer then cut with the grain. If your dog chews quickly or not at all, then cut against the grain.
If you don't have a dehydrator you can still make these in the oven at the lowest temperature flipping regularly.
Maple Cinnamon Chicken Jerky
Cook Time: 8 – 10 hours
Nutrition facts: 125 calories, 41 from fat
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Slice the chicken breasts lengthwise which is easiest to do while still frozen.
- Add the maple syrup and cinnamon to a small jar and shake until combined.
- Place the chicken slices in a sealable container. Pour the maple syrup and cinnamon marinade over the chicken, cover and shake to completely cover the chicken. Refrigerate for about thirty minutes, turning container over to help disburse the marinade.
- Place the chicken pieces on parchment lined or oil sprayed dehydrator trays. Dehydrate for 8 to 10 hours turning over once the bottom side is dried.
- Remove when completely dried.
This jerky can be stored in an air tight container for up to a week. Don't store in the refrigerator as that can add back moisture leading to possible mold.