These were a huge hit! Of course I knew they would be considering they have bacon AND maple syrup. Kirby loves them but what tickled me the most was watching Jilly Bean, our current foster, run around the house carrying a treat in her mouth. She was so excited I'm not sure she knew what to do with it.
Kirby and our fosters don't have any problems with the small amount of milk in our treats but if your dog does, you can substitute filtered water for the milk. As always, use real maple syrup and not pancake syrup!
Maple Bacon Bites
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Nutrition facts: 24 Calories each, 4 Calories from fat each Total fat: 0.5g or 1% (0.0g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 ½ cups barley flour
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup 2% or low fat milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (2.5 oz.) package real bacon bits
- Thoroughly combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Place in refrigerator for 2o minutes to chill.
- Roll out ¼ inch thick on floured mat and cut out shapes. Place on lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until bottoms are a light golden brown. Remove to baker’s rack to cool.
These will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks and in the freezer for three months.