Just three ingredients plus whatever seasonings you want to use that are dog friendly! So how did this simple recipe come about? I had run out of Kirby's frozen meals and needed to whip up something simple and easy with what I had on hand. This is a healthy and tasty dish made with love.
Chicken N Greens
Nutrition facts: 162 Calories, 34 Calories from fat Total fat: 3.8g or 6% (1.1g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- 1 (18 oz) chopped bag frozen turnip Greens, chopped
- 7 (4 oz) jars organic baby food - 3 carrots, 2 peas, 2 squash
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground eggshell
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Boil the chicken in a dutch oven or large stock pot. Remove and let cool. (Save the liquid) Once cool enough to handle, discard the skin and bones. Shred the meat.
- Rinse out the dutch oven and add the cooked chicken back in. Add all of the remaining ingredients except the saved chicken stock.
- Mix thoroughly and add the saved chicken stock. Add water if needed to make one cup to give it plenty of moisture.
- Heat over low heat stirring occasionally until the turnip greens have cooked. It will have the texture of a chili rather than a soup.
- Let cool to room temperature and serve.
Any dog friendly greens will do - turnips, kale, spinach.
This can be stored in the refrigerator for about 5 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. I make large batches and then freeze individual 1 cup servings which equals two meals for Kirby.