Chicken livers are an excellent source of high quality protein and a rich source of Vitamins A, D and virtually all of the B vitamins. They are also relatively inexpensive so stock up and bake these easy meatballs. I save a lot of time when making meatballs by using a cookie dough scoop. They may not be perfectly round but Kirby doesn't seem to mind.
Chicken Liver Meatballs
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Nutrition facts: 42 Calories each, 15 Calories from fat each Total fat: 1.7g or 3% (0.6g starurated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 to 2 lbs chicken livers*
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon extra light olive oil
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground egg shel l
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken livers. Heat the olive oil in a medium size pan and saute the green pepper and spinach over medium heat.
- Add the garlic powder and chicken livers. Cook until the outsides are a light brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Puree the cooked mixture in a blender and pour into a medium size bowl. Add remaining ingredients and thoroughly combine.
- Add more flour if needed to form small meatballs. Coconut flour absorbs a lot of moisture so if using a different flour use only 1/3 cup.
- Place on lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until crispy and browned.
* Chicken livers are sold in small tubs ranging in weight. The one I used happened to weigh 1.37 lbs. Whatever size you get can be adjusted by the amount of flour.
These will last covered in the refrigerator for about 4 to 5 days or in the freezer for several months. Kirby likes them warmed for 30 seconds in the microwave.