Tea spiced with ginger, cinnamon and anise is often referred to as chai tea which originated in India as long as 5,000 years ago as part of the ayurvedic traditional medicine system. Replace the tea with chicken and, viola, a tasty, healthy snack your pup will devour!
You already know about the many health benefits of cinnamon and ginger so I want to share the herb anise. Everyone knows cats love catnip but did you know that dogs can react to anise in the same way? Like cats, some dogs are affected more than others but any dog will enjoy the licorice scent and flavor of this herb. Did you know foxhounds follow a trail that is created by dragging a sack that has been doused in anise oil and greyhound racing, which by the way I do not approve, uses an artificial hare covered with the scent of anise to urge the dogs to run.
Anise has other uses for dogs in addition to providing a stimulating scent. You can add a drop of anise essential oil between your dog's shoulder blades and place a pouch of star anise on your dog's bed to repel fleas. To kill parasites like tapeworm, grind anise and add it to your dog's water. A highly effective dog toothpaste to help freshen your dog's breath is a mixture of anise and baking soda.
Many people use anise in their dog’s treats and toys. The seeds of anise is the only part used which are easy to grind up or can be added whole to your dog's treat. Dogs may become highly energetic and somewhat crazy if they react strongly to anise. If your dog attacks and actually tears up his toys, you may want to use an essential oil. A few drops is all you need and it can safely be reapplied when the scent fades.
Chai Chicken Strips
Calories from fat: 29
- 3 lbs chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon anise oil or powder
- Either thinly slice or pound out the breasts with a rolling pin. Cut into the size strips you want remembering they will shrink as they cook. I use kitchen shears to easily cut strips. Place in a medium size bowl.
- Add the coconut oil. If it is solidified just use the warmth of your hands to melt it and then rub over the chicken.
- Add the seasonings. Again, using your hands thoroughly mix until certain they have been thoroughly distributed.
- Place in your dehydrator and cook on high for 8 to 10 hours. Turn the chicken pieces over when the top side has dried. These can also be dehydrated in the oven. Place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and bake at the lowest temperature turning over as one side is done.
They will keep in an air tight container for up to two weeks or in the freezer for up to three months. Do not store in the refrigerator as it will cause moisture leading to mold.