Kirby is a carnivore. He loves meat... beef, venison, fowl, and fish. I have yet to discover what his favorite fish is as he greedily devours anchovies, sardines, herring, salmon, mackerel, tilapia, cod, whiting, catfish... The dog loves fish!
I knew I couldn't go wrong as long as the star of the dish was fish so really I just started throwing together what I had in the pantry. This is so easy and tasty your dog will discover his or her "inner cat" in no time.
Canned Fish Stew
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition facts: 409 calories, 228 calories from fat Total fat: 25.4g or 39% (11.9g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 2 (14.75 oz) cans salmon
- 3 (15 oz) cans mackerel
- 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli slaw
- 3 chopped small sweet potatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can drained sweet peas
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 (13.5 oz) cans coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground eggshell
- Finely chop the broccoli slaw. Kirby doesn’t like English peas so I chop them up too.
- In a dutch oven or large pot saute the veggies in the coconut oil over medium low heat for 20 to 30 minutes until tender.
- Pour in the chicken stock and coconut milk. Add the seasonings.
- Drain and crush, or remove, the spiny bones in the salmon and mackerel. Add to the pot.
- Let simmer until warmed through.
I divide this up in plastic 1 cup containers which I store in the freezer for up to four months. To serve, let thaw to room temperature. Kirby likes it slightly warmed for 20 seconds in the microwave.
If you can't find broccoli slaw just chop up some broccoli, carrots and cabbage.