This simple meal is packed with flavor Kirby loves and nutrients he needs. Kale is a nutrient dense leafy green containing beta carotene, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin K, and lutein. It has anti-inflammatory properties, is full of antioxidants and healthy flavonoids, and is believed to help prevent cancer. If you can't find any kale, spinach is a good substitute.
Cayenne pepper gives a little kick Kirby seems to really like. It's the only pepper considered safe for dogs providing essential nutrients including beta carotene, fiber and vitamin B6. Because cayenne pepper stimulates circulation and enhances blood flow, it is considered food for the circulatory system and as a digestive aid. Red peppers are one of the few foods that contain lycopene, a phytochemical that may help prevent various forms of cancer.
Beefy Kale Pasta
Nutrition facts: 216 Calories, 39 Calories from fat Total fat: 4.3g or 7% (1.4g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 cups chopped kale
- 2 small chopped red peppers
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground egg shell
- 2 cups cooked pasta
- In a large skillet cook the ground beef, peppers and kale over medium heat until the meat is fully cooked.
- Stir in the seasonings and let simmer on low for five minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta to the point of being mushy. Drain and rinse, rinse, and rinse again to remove as much of the starch as possible. Add the pasta to the skillet and thoroughly mix.
- Let cool and serve.
*I like to use the smallest pasta I can find to help with digestion while providing needed carbohydrates.
This will keep in the refrigerator for up to five days and in the freezer for several months.