Have I mentioned Kirby loves fish, any fish, actually any seafood delights his taste buds. These are so easy and inexpensive to whip up for a quick dinner.
You can use leftover mashed potatoes as long as there are no dangerous seasonings for dogs. Often times, I just whip up some instant 100% mashed potatoes.
Baked Fish Cakes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Nutrition facts: 123 calories, 32 calories from fat Total fat: 3.6g or6% (0.7g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 (15 0z) can salmon or mackerel
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup Panko or plain bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dill seed
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground egg shell
- Drain the fish and remove or mash the spiny bones.
- In a large bowl thoroughly combine all of the ingredients.
- Form into patties roughly ½ inch thick by 3 inches wide. Place on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes, flip cakes over, and bake another 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let rest 5 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
These will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about five days and in the freezer for four months.
I like using a measuring cup to make sure they are the same size.