This time of year means kitchens are filled with scents of apple pie, pumpkin pie and pecan pie. All of which Kirby would love a tasty bite, no he would love a slice. Ok he probably does get a bit now and then but I'm telling you, he has his drool look down pat! My apple pie has a lot of sugar so these were easy enough to whip up to satisfy his yearning with just a few ingredients.
Make them fancy using cookie cutters or make them simple by rolling into little balls using a fork to press them down. Either way is tasty!
All American Apple Pie
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Nutrition facts: 35 calories, 5 from fat
- 1 cup brown rice flour*
- 1/2 cup coconut flour*
- 1 large (1-1/2 cups) red apple
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- In a large bowl thoroughly mix all of the ingredients and roll out about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch thick. This dough is sticky but pliable so I recommend either rolling between two psheets of parchment or using a little extra flour.
- Cut out shapes and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Since these are thick prick centers with a fork to allow steam to release. Even easier is to just roll into small balls, place on parchment paper and flatten with a fork.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until bottoms are golden brown. Remove to a cooling rack.
I use ceylon cinnamon which has a lighter taste. If using cassia cinnamon use only 1 teaspoon.
* You can substitute 1 - 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour for the brown rice flour and coconut flour.
They'll keep in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks and in the freezer for up to four months.