Milk Bones have been around for as long as I can remember. I see boxes everytime I'm in Wal-Mart or the grocery store. The main ingredients are wheat flour, wheat bran, meat and bone meal, milk, and beef fat (preserved with BHA, a known carcinogen) plus so this is my version which I think is much healthier and much cheaper.
Calories from fat: 2
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup dry milk
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 egg
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and thoroughly mix.
- Place in refrigerator for about 15 minutes to chill.
- Roll dough out to 1/2 inch thick and cut with bone cutters.
- Place on lined cookie sheet. These won't spread so they can be placed close together.
- Prick each treat with fork tines to allow steam to escape. Since these are thick this will prevent the bottom from burning before the center has cooked.
- I brushed the tops with egg white to make them shiny. This is totally optional but just look how pretty they came out!
- Bake at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Remove to rack to cool.
These will be hard on the outside yet slightly chewy inside. For really hard treats, turn off the oven and leave them in for a few hours.
These will keep in an airtight container for a week or in the freezer for several months.