The Elvis Biscuit (A Big Hunk O Love)
I was crazy in love with the King of rock and roll! That voice, that smirkish grin, those hips. Elvis Presley rocked my world so thinking about something special to make for Valentine's Day I immediately thought about the peanut butter and banana sandwich fried in butter. The story is Gladys, his mom, originally made this sandwich Elvis would request over and over throughout his life leading it to become known as the "Elvis Sandwich". It sounds like a really gross concoction but until you've eaten one you have no idea how scrumptious it truly is. Trust me, this culinary disaster is deliciously divine!
For the calorie conscious you may want to try this leaner version which still has that amazing mixture of flavor that just explodes in your mouth.
If you aren't from the South you may be wondering why I added the bacon. Of course that greatly pleases Kirby but rumor has it that Elvis loved to add a few slices of bacon for a little crunchy texture.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour or oat flour
- 1 cup mashed banana (2 large)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup bacon
- 1 egg
1. Mash or puree bananas in large bowl.
2. Add real bacon bits or left over cooked bacon crumbled into small pieces.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix until thoroghly combined.
4. Let dough chill in the refrigerater for about 15 minutes. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut with cookie cutters. I used heart shaped because these are a whole lotta love! Place on lined baking sheet. They can be placed close together since they won't rise.
5. Brush tops with egg wash (optional) and bake at 350 degrees for about 12 minutes or until bottoms turn light brown. Remove to cooling rack to let cool.
These won't last long but you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about a week or several months in the freezer.
I did mention it's almost Valentine's day? Well I couldn't resist decorating a few with some icing for my heart dog.