With all the dog food recalls of late I have been on a quest to find delicious, healthy meals for Kirby. He receives a small meal in the morning and his regular meal in the evening.
We love to eat breakfast for dinner so I knew Kirby would too. We usually enjoy eggs, bacon and grits. Grits are made from corn which from everything I've researched is not considered healthy for dogs so I decided eggs, bacon and quinoa (which I love to eat with some lemon juice and sea salt) would be a good combo. It was - I ate a bowl myself with a little extra seasoning!
Quinoa (keen-wa) is considered an amazing power food with only 177 calories per 1/2 cup filled with protein, complex carbohydrates, fiber and healthy fats. It is often times referred to as a grain but it is in fact a seed!
Bacon, Eggs & Quinoa
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Nutrition facts: 329 calories, 124 from fat Total fat: 9.3g or 14% (1.5g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 12 slices turkey bacon
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Cook the bacon and crumble into small pieces.
- Soak 1 cup quinoa in enough water to cover for five minutes then strain and place in a 2 quart pot. Add 2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt. Bring to a boil. Cover with tight fitting lid and simmer for twenty minutes until the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit five minutes with lid on. Fluff with fork and pour into a large bowl.
- Scramble the eggs making sure they are completely cooked.
- Add the bacon, eggs and applesauce to the quinoa.
- Mix well and serve warm.
This will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days. When feeding, just scoop some in a bowl and warm for 20 seconds in the microwave.
This is easy, tasty, and very healthy!