We all know a good hearty stew can warm and nourish the body in a comforting way. This hearty stew brimming with meat and veggies will satisfy the pickiest eater, and since your dog wants what you want, you'll be assured he's eating a healthy meal made from human grade ingredients. This smells so good, why not grab some thick crusty bread, ladle a bowl for yourself,and enjoy a hearty meal with your fluffy furiend!
Preparing homemade food can be time consuming. However, once a batch is cooked it can be frozen in serving sizes for quick and easy feedings. I freeze Kirby's meals in individual servings (1 cup per meal) so in the morning I can set one container in the fridge to thaw. He is spoiled so I heat his dinner for twenty seconds in the microwave before serving.
Hearty Beef Stew
Nutrition facts: 220 calories, 60 ccalories from fat Total fat: 6.7g or 10% (2.0g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 3 cups bone (beef) broth
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 /2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon ground eggshell
- 3 to 4 medium chopped potatoes
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 4 to 5 chopped carrots
- 3 small chopped yellow squash
- 1 red apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- Cut meat into 1 inch cubes and place in a large dutch oven. You can also use your crockpot which does all the cooking for you.
- Add the olive oil and brown the meat over medium heat until most of the pink is gone.
- Whisk the flour into the bone broth and add to the pot. If you can't find a bone broth without onion then you can use chicken stock or water in its place.
- Add the garlic, ground eggshell, and seasonings.
- Stir, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the meat is no longer pink and the broth has thickened up a little bit. The potatoes will help it thicken up more. If using a crockpot let it cook on high setting for one hour.
- While this is simmering prepare the remaining ingredients. Chop the vegetables to desired size keeping in mind that dogs have a harder time digesting these foods. For Kirby I like them to be somewhere between finely chopped and shredded. As much as I would love you to think I am amazing with a knife, I confess I use my Ninja chopper for its quickness and to save fingers.
- Toss in the veggies and apple and continue to let simmer for about an hour and a half or until the vegetables reach the desired soft texture. This will take 6 to 7 hours on low in a crockpot.
- Let cool and serve.
Feel free to substitute veggies your dog likes or sneak in the ones he doesn't. Kirby is probably the only dog on the planet who will not eat a raw carrot so I try to incorporate them in his meals since they provide beneficial vitamins and nutrients. The apple gives a nice sweetness but I have also seen where an orange is used instead. Either would work.
* The flour is used to thicken the stew broth. I like coconut flour for the health benefits but you can use any flour you have on hand.
** I use Honey Gold potatoes but any white potato will work. Once I peel them I place them in a bowl of cool water. As I chop each one I place the pieces back in the water. Reason one is to keep them from turning brown. Reason two is so I can drain the water which removes some of the starch.
Note: I purchased 3 lbs of stew meat so I had enough to prepare his favorite treat for training!