Lemon Ricotta Cookies
This recipe is very different from what I usually bake for Kirby. It's still on the healthy side but I have to admit a little fancier and a little fatter. Maybe a lot fatter which probably isn't a good idea for my little chunky monkey. But it is almost Easter which deserves something special.
The truth is I love to eat lemon cookies covered in confectioners sugar. Not the diet kind, the real kind. Kirby likes to beg for bites to which I can't seem to say no. This is my "healthier" version of a basic Italian recipe.
- 1 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup corn flour*
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 packet Stevia (1/4 teaspoon)**
- 2 Tablespoons True Lemon or lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1. In large bowl thoroughly combine all ingredients.
2. Using a teaspoon drop the batter onto parchment lined cookie sheet.
3. Press a fork into the tops of each one to flatten.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes until bottoms are golden brown.
5. Remove and let cool on wire cooling racks.
Even sweeter? Cream cheese frosting on top! Not an everyday treat but perfect for a special day!
*The corn flour gives the cookies that yummy yellow color. Research suggests corn is not easily digestable for dogs so I rarely use it. Oat flour would work just as well.
For the humans - add more sugar, lots more sugar!
** All of the research I have done shows there is no health risk to dogs as long as you are using pure stevia so check the label. Do not feed to cats! If in doubt check with your veterinarian or leave out of recipe.