Mississippi Mud Puppies
I had a Mississippi Mud Puppy the other day. Yum, yum, yum! It got me to thinking why not make something like this for Kirby except, since he can't eat chocolate which is my true love, I decided to use liver, his true love. You really should try the human version and of course my doggie delicious version for your pupster.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 30 - 40 minutes Yields:
- 1/2 lb calf liver
- 2 cups oatflour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flaxseed
1. Chop up the dried cranberries and blueberries using a little flour for the stickiness.
2. Puree liver in a blender or food processor. Be sure to rinse anything that comes into contact with the liver immediately or you will have a stuck on mess!
3. Thoroughly combine all ingredients.
4. Using a spatula spread out mixture on a foil covered jelly roll or baking sheet to about 1 inch thick. Rinsing the spatula under hot water will help it stick less and spread better. (To make individual cookies, drop by teaspoonfuls and flatten. Watch your cooking time so you don't cook out the moisture).
5. Bake at 300* for thirty minutes. I wanted a chewy texture but you can cook another ten to fifteen minutes and then turn off oven to achieve hard crunchy treats.
6. Score with your spatula then turn out on a baker's rack to cool.
7. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerater for up to five days or freeze for thirty days. Be sure to check for any mold as these are on the moist side.
I'm not tasting these because I simply cannot stand the taste of liver (Sorry Kirby) but since Christmas is right around the corner I plan to make this tasty recipe with CHOCOLATE for my family and friends.
Anyway, Kirby loves liver, loves these, and loves me!