Cottage cheese is an excellent source of protein, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, lycopene, vitamin A, C, D, E, K, B6, B12, thiamin, riboflavin, folic acid, niacin, beta carotene, potassium, calcium, copper, zinc, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, fluoride, and selenium.
One of the down sides is that it is high in sodium and considered a mild inflammatory. However, it's still a remarkable ingredient Kirby loves.
Cottage Cheese Muttins
36 Calories from fat
Total fat: 4.0g or 6% (1.4g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cottage cheese*
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground egg shell
- Sweet potatoes are extremely hard to cut so I like to place them in the microwave about 20 seconds - just long enough to soften them so I can scoop out the flesh. Then shred in your food processor or blender.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and thoroughly mix.
- Spray muffin tin with olive oil and fill each tin with the meat mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cooked through. Let cool and serve.
These can be made ahead and frozen for later meals.
*We prefer the small curd but either is ok.