There's nothing more nourishing and filling on a cold day than beef stew. There are so many healthy choices when it comes to the ingredients you can use. This stew is all about root veggies which are low in fat and high in nutrient value. The simmering aromas fill the house as Kirby drools in anticipation.
I like to cook large batches and freeze meals to serve over time. I have a small crock pot so I usually half the recipe cooking half in the crock pot and the other half in the oven.
Country Roots Beef Stew
Cook Time: 2 – 10 hours
Nutrition facts: 178 calories, 43 calories from fat Total fat: 4.8g or 7% (1.2g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 2 chopped large potatoes
- 3 chopped small turnips
- 4 chopped large carrots
- 1 (28 oz) can undrained crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground egg shell)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- ¼ teaspoon chopped basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- Using a large oven-safe pot or dutch oven, brown the meat in the olive oil.
- Add the chopped veggies and crushed tomatoes to the pot.
- Add enough water to cover everything. Mix well.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for two or more hours until the meat and veggies are tender.
- During the cooking process if you want to thicken the stew, scoop out some of the broth in a cup, mix in some flour, and then pour it back into the stew.
- Remove from oven and let cool before serving.
I often add rice to the oven batch to really thicken it up which helps when freezing individual servings in muffin tins for later meals. I prefer brown rice or parboiled rice.
Beef stew for dogs is not rocket science. Feel free to use any cuts of meat including venison and lamb. Choose veggies your dog loves. My measurements are simply what I had on hand. It really doesn’t matter how much of each ingredient you use, just start chopping and throw it in the pot. I didn't use any seasonings since the tomatoes had some salt and I personally think the meat and veggies have enough naturally enticing flavor.
Choose any of the following root veggies - tomatoes (avoid the leaves and stems), carrots, celery, beets, yams, sweet potatoes, parsnip, and turnips.
DO NOT USE onions or mushrooms as these are highly toxic to dogs.
These are human grade ingredients found in your kitchen so feel free to have a helping bowl of stew with Fido! A thick slice of french bread and a glass of wine would round out a meal Julia Child would be proud to serve! Ok, maybe it's more of a Rachel Ray kinda meal. Bone appetit!