Gizzards & Hearts Medley
This makes a great meal or inexpensive topping for kibble. It can even be used for training treats but I find it rather oily to handle.
The benefits of fresh organ meats are many - high in vitamin content and minerals, an excellent source of Vitamin E (for healing and fighting diseases) and iron. Some experts suggest feeding organ meats twice a week to pets. Others recommend including them in small amounts in an animal’s daily diet.
- 1 1/4 lbs (2 ½ cups) chicken gizzards and hearts*
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp parsley
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp rosemary
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes** (optional)
1. Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl and use your hands to mix thoroughly. Since Kirby is a small dog I like to cut the meat into smaller pieces but it isn't necessary.
2. Pour mixture onto a foil lined jelly pan and spread out to make one layer.
3. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes until golden brown.
* Sometimes I add chopped up liver to the mix.
** I rehydrate the dried tomatoes in water for about thirty minutes then drain. Never use green tomatoes!
This can be stored in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen for at least a month or two.