Today is June 19, 2011 which the calendar says is Father's Day. I need to call Dad and tell him how much I love him. I need to tell him how I miss him so very much. I need to tell him I wish I could visit with him just one more time.
On July 7, 2009 he checked into the hospital to have a scheduled surgery on his shoulder. One day he was fine. The next day he was in trouble. He spent almost a month in the ICU. I prayed for a miracle. I waited for a miracle. He never woke up. God took him home on July 23, 2009.
Dad's favorite cake was carrot cake. I can't bake one for him but I decided I would bake one for Kirby in Dad's honor. I love you Dad. Happy Father's Day!
Carrot Pup Cakes
Calories from fat: 20/10/40
- 2 cups oat flour
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Shred carrots in food processor.
- In large bowl thoroughly mix all ingredients and spoon into muffin tins filling close to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 15 minutes for mini muffins or 20 - 25 minutes for regular size muffins.
- Cakes are done when a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely on wire rack.
I make my oat flour by grinding whole oats in a food processor. It's actually healthier because you are preserving the oat bran which is removed from processed oat flour. (Don't use instant or quick cooked oats).
The Frosting (for 12 large, 24 mini, 6 pupcakes )
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: None
Calories from fat: 1/1/2
- 1 4 oz package low fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Let cream cheese come to room temperature.
- Whip with honey until fluffy.
- Frost and garnish with shredded carrot for extra flair!
These can be wrapped in saran wrap or kept in an airtight container for up to a week.
Kirby gives them 5 paws! I was tickled watching him eat. First he ate the carrot pieces, then he licked off the frosting, then he ate the cake. They have just the right amount of sweetness. Actually if Kirby's willing to share, they would be perfect with my morning coffee.