I love to bake, and with fall in the air, there are so many yummy vegetables just waiting to be tried. Pumpkin is always at the top of the list with cans of pure pumpkin loading the shelves and fresh pumpkins sitting in bins. In this recipe I used canned pumpkin (never pumpkin pie which is loaded with unnecesary sugars) but if you really want fresh then choose sugar pumpkins. Kirby just loves some pumpkin which has a naturally sweet flavor and is so good for a dog's digestive system so stock up now while you can.
Pawesome Pumpkin Pupcakes
Calories from fat: 53/26/105
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup safflower oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- In one bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger. Set aside.
- In another bowl combine honey, applesauce and oil. Blend in vanilla and pumpkin, then beat in eggs one at a time.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture from first bowl.
- Fill silicone molds or greased and floured muffin tins 3/4 full - they will rise a little.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a pupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
Frosting (for 12 large, 24 mini, 6 pupcakes)
Calories from fat: 30/15/59
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 3 heaping teaspoons pure pumpkin
- Mix room temperature cream cheese and pumpkin until well blended and creamy.
- Frost completely cooled cakes.