This is one of the first canine meals I created and still one of Kirby's favorites! It's also one of the easiest to make - just mix and bake. These muffins are chock full of healthy ingredients and can be frozen for make ahead meals. A batch makes 18 - 20 muffins with each muffin being equal to one meal for Kirby who weighs in at 14 lbs. A smaller pup can eat less and if your dog is larger, you can mix a good quality kibble with it.
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Nutrition facts: 171 Calories, 46 Calories from fat Total fat: 5.1g or 8% (1.5g saturated fat, 0.0g trans fat)
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups instant mashed potatoes or 1 large potato, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground egg shell
- 1 tablespoon extra light olive oil
- 1/2 cup regular rolled oats
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- In a large bowl mix together all of the ingredients using your hands to thoroughly blend.
- Spray muffin cups with non stick spray and fill each one with some of the meat mixture patting down to make it firm.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 40 minutes or until surface feels set.
- Cool on a rack 10 minutes or longer.
Refrigerate for up to a week or freeze for up to four months.
I make a batch and then freeze in ziplock freezer bags. K irby can eat one a day so I place one in the refrigerator in the morning, then in the evening I pop it in the microwave for about 15 seconds. I feed it alone or mix it with some kibble.